Berberis Lutin Rouge Description
Colorful & compact! Enjoy a dazzling foliage display in mixed containers or shrub border!
Berberis thunbergii 'Lutin Rouge' (Japanese Barberry) is a trouble-free Berberis with dense, oval habit and deep burgundy foliage. A deciduous thorny shrub grows only 20" tall and 10" wide. Versatile and colorful with season spanning color! Ultra hardy to Zone 4 or -22 F. Adaptable to heavy soil (as long it is well drained). Red berries in fall attract birds.
Insignificant pale yellow flowers in spring. What's sometimes overlooked is the purpose their thorns serve as an effective hedge discouraging pedestrians, deer, and other small animals out, but also effective in containing small pets in a controlled area so they don't wander off the property.
Highlights of Lutin Rouge Barberry
- Deer & drought proof shrub.
- Intense red foliage in sun. Grows more green in shade .
- Barrier hedge - Thorns create a barrier or hedge to discourage pedestrians or small animals.
- Small compact hedge - can be used in fairy gardens or small clipped formal gardens
- Mound forming habit only 20" tall and 10" wide
- Season spanning color
- Lifts up the garden with color!
- Persistent Red berries in fall attract birds.
How to Grow Lutin Rouge Barberry
- Best color when grown in full sun. Will be more green in shade.Won't wilt under the hot sun.
- Will grow in any type of soil as long it is well drained. Salt tolerant.
- Needs good drainage.
- Trim back about a 1/3 during the first few years to encourage branching.
Garden Design with Lutin Rouge
- Use as a small, compact hedge. Ideal for narrow spaces. Can be pruned for a formal look.
- Groundcover. Plant in grouping of 5-7 for a real color lift.Gives lift to an all-green garden.
- Containers. Handsome in a blue pot on its own. Use as a base around a large focal plant such as Thuja Goldy. Delightful when paired with Sedum Angelina
- Do not be dismayed because the flowers are not showy, the foliage itself on this handsome shrub will give your garden a color lift.
- Pair with other drought tolerant shrubs such as Butterfly Bush, or a yellowing Barberry, flowering Quince, Weigela, or Knock Out Roses.
- Pair with colorful perennials such as Coreopsis Berry Chiffon, Coneflowers.
- Yellows & Blues pair well. Try Geranium Rozanne or Nepeta Walker's Low. Grow Blue Star Creeper at the base.
Special Features: Cold Hardy, Deer Resistant, Drought Tolerant, Easy Care, Foliage Interest, Heat Tolerant, Burn Resistant, Multi-season Interest
Recommended For You:
- Botanical Name:
Berberis thunbergii 'Lutin Rouge'
- Common Name:
- Sun Exposure:
- Ship Form:
3 1/2" x 5"
- Soil Type:
- Soil Moisture:
- Height x Width:
20" x 10"
- Flower Color:
- Foliage Color:
- Bloom Season:
Accent, Container Gardening, Hedge Plant, Ornamental, Rock Garden, Small Spaces
- Cannot Ship to:
MA, AK, CAN, HI, PR
- Patent #: PP22,796
More Info, How-To's, Videos and more
Soil: Very adaptable to a wide range of soil types as long as it drains well, as it will not tolerate any standing water. It is not particular as to soil type or pH, and is able to handle environmental salt. It is highly tolerant of urban pollution.
Light: Sun to Partial Shade
Water: Average water needs.Water regularly; do not over water.
Spacing: 12-15 in.
Fertilizing: Fertilizer needs are low. If you have poor soil, feed during spring growing season with slow release fertilizer such as "Osmocote"
Winterizing: No specific care needed.
Maintenance & Pruning: Can self sow; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season. Prune for shape in late spring after bloom time.
ReviewsBe the first to write a review