Berberis Orange Rocket Description
Deer & Drought proof shrub ignites a passion for color while thriving in tough spots!
Berberis thunbergii 'Golden Rocket' (Japanese Barberry) is a handsome upright deciduous thorny shrub growing 3-4' tall and 18" wide. Versatile and colorful with chartreuse foliage accented with red stems. Ultra hardy to Zone 4, their effortless performance provide season spanning color! Red berries in fall attract birds.
Insignificant pale yellow flowers in spring. What's sometimes overlooked is the purpose their thorns serve as an effective hedge discouraging pedestrians, deer, and other small animals out, but also effective in containing small pets in a controlled area so they don't wander off the property.
Highlights of Golden Rocket
- Deer & drought proof shrub.
- Chartreuse adds lively color to any setting.
- Barrier hedge - Thorns create a barrier or hedge to discourage pedestrians or small animals.
- Formal hedge - can be clipped to any desirable height or width.
- Narrow growing, upright shrub to 4' tall x 18" wide.
- Season spanning bright lime foliage with contrasting red stems.
- Lifts up the garden with color!
- Persistent Red berries in fall attract birds.
How to Grow Golden Rocket Barberry
- Grow in full sun to part shade. Won't wilt under the hot sun.
- Will grow in any type of soil as long it is well drained. Salt tolerant.
- Needs good drainage.
- Trim back about a 1/3 during the first few years to encourage branching.
Garden Design with Golden Rocket
- Often used as a tough hedge plant or barrier plant but also lends itself well to a variety of landscape uses. Can be pruned in spring to maintain height or width.
- Use as a single specimen to add a focal point or use in mass plantings. Gives lift to an all-green garden. Underplant with a reddish colored Coral bells that will pick up the stem color.
- Do not be dismayed because the flowers are not showy, the foliage itself on this handsome shrub will give your garden a color lift.
- Pair with other drought tolerant shrubs such as Butterfly Bush, or a red Barberry, flowering Quince, Weigela, or Knock Out Roses.
- Pair with colorful perennials such as Coreopsis Berry Chiffon, Coneflowers.
- Yellows & Blues pair well. Try Geranium Rozanne or Nepeta Walker's Low. Grow Blue Star Creeper at the base.
Special Features: Cold Hardy, Deer Resistant, Drought Tolerant, Easy Care, Foliage Interest, Heat Tolerant, Burn Resistant, Multi-season Interest
Recommended For You:
- Botanical Name:
Berberis thunbergii 'Orange Rocket''
- Common Name:
- Sun Exposure:
- Ship Form:
3 1/2" x 5"
- Soil Type:
- Soil Moisture:
- Height x Width:
3-4' x 18"
- Flower Color:
- Foliage Color:
- Bloom Season:
Accent, Background, Birds, Container Gardening, Cottage Gardening, Foundation Planting, Hedge Plant, Ornamental, Small Spaces
- Cannot Ship to:
MA, AK, CAN, HI, PR
- Patent #:#18,411
More Info, How-To's, Videos and more
As low as $48.40
Soil: Very adaptable to a wide range of soil types as long as it drains well, as it will not tolerate any standing water. It is not particular as to soil type or pH, and is able to handle environmental salt. It is highly tolerant of urban pollution.
Light: Sun to Partial Shade
Water: Average water needs.Water regularly; do not over water.
Spacing: 24-36 in.
Fertilizing: Fertilizer needs are low. If you have poor soil, feed during spring growing season with slow release fertilizer such as "Osmocote"
Winterizing: No specific care needed.
Maintenance & Pruning: Can self sow; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season. Prune for shape in late spring after bloom time.
ReviewsBe the first to write a review