Monarda Leading Lady Plum Description
Monarda or bee-balm are pollinator's superstars! Easy to grow sun perennial, each flower heads sit on a whorl of showy, magenta purple leafy bracts sprinkled with dark purple spots with blooms lasting well up to 8-12 weeks or more. Plants have a minty fragrance which deer and other browsing critters find unappealing. Easily adapts to heat & humidity.
We often associate Bee Balm as tall and a rambler in the garden. Here's the sweetest ever compact type at 12" tall that is a clump former so it doesn't run rampant in the garden. (Love good manners!) . The plants are smaller, but you'll find the flower size just as big and showy as taller forms. This is a great plant for filling in bare spots in the garden.
What you'll love:
- Dark green glossy foliage
- Abundant magenta purple flowers bloom earlier than other types of Monarda lasting up to 2 months.
- Blossoms are full of nectar attracting pollinators
- At only 12" it fits into lots of small spaces. Tuck in here and there, accent a shrub, wedge between hugging groundcovers and taller plants or shrubs. Use in container gardening
- Unlike other Monardas that can run rampant in the garden, Leady Lady Plum stays very well behaved.
- Demonstrates greater resistance to mildew and other diseases.
- Thrives in both damp & dry soil. If you have constantly moist soil (like near a rain gutter). Monardas just don't mind having the "feet" constantly wet!
- Pairing partners: If growing in wet, damp areas pair with Lysimachia Aurea. Combine with yellow foliage Heuchera or use as a background to low growing Sedum Cutting Edge
You'll find this new Monarda a versatile staple in your garden with its solid performance and rugged disposition. Removing spent blooms help to prolong the bloom time of this choice sun perennial.
Special Features: Blooms first Year, Butterfly Loving, Cold Hardy, Cut Flower, Deer Resistant, Drought Tolerant, Easy Care, Fast Growing, Fragrance, Heat Tolerant, Hummingbird Lovers, Long Blooming, Mildew Resistant, Moisture Tolerant, Pest Resistant, Rabbit Resistant, Reblooming,
Customers Who Selected This item also bought:
- Botanical Name:
Monarda 'Leading Lady Plum'
- Common Name:
Bee Balm, Horsemint,
- Sun Exposure:
Sun, Part Shade
- Ship Form:
- Soil Type:
- Soil Moisture:
- Height x Width:
12" X 15"
- Flower Color:
- Foliage Color:
- Bloom Season:
Accent, Container Gardening, Edging, Erosion Control or Embankment, Ground Cover, Massing, Rain Garden, Rock Garden, Under Planting, Waterside
- Cannot Ship to:
AK, CAN, HI, PR
- Patent #: PPAF
Ideas and How-to's
Recommended for You:
Soil: Easily grown in moist, humus-rich, well-drained soils. Also grows well in average to dry soil
Light:Full Sun to Partial Shade
WaterWater about an inch a week
Spacing: Appreciated good air circulation between plants. Space 18-24"
Fertilizing: We recommend against fertilizing at planting time and during the first growing season. Plants need time to settle and root in before being pushed to grow. Most established plants grow best if fertilized with a light hand. We fertilize perennials just once -- in early spring -- with a light but even coverage of a balanced, slow release fertilizer (Osmocote), or organic fertilizer.
Winterizing: No special care needed
Maintenance & Pruning: Remove spent blooms for better rebloom performance
ReviewsBe the first to write a review